How Do I Treat a Beet Allergy?

beets on a table
beets on a table

Eating vegetables provides nutrients to your body but you could have an adverse reaction to eating some of them. Beet is a root veggie that can cause an allergic reaction in some people and it’s important you know how to treat beet allergy.

Beetroot allergies are rare, but there are no known methods to treat the allergy. It is best to stay away from uncooked or cooked beets to avoid any allergic reaction that may occur. There are a few cases that people have been triggered by the steam of cooked beets.

Beetroot can cause allergic reactions in both children and adults that might require more than just going to pass gas for stomach relief. Seeking medical advice is always the best choice in such situations.

Allergies in the Beet Vegetable Family

Beets are great veggies that contain loads of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and nutrients good for a healthy body. Many vegetables have been said to cause allergic reactions and beets are one of them. If you’re allergic to beets your immune system will react undesirably if you consume chard and sugar beets.

Chard is a highly nutritious leafy veggie and sugar beets are used in the production of sugar because they contain high concentrations of sucrose. Both plants together with beets come from sea beets.

Though it’s rare to have an allergic reaction after consuming sea beet veggies, immune systems are different and the reaction can be mild, moderate, or severe. Click here for some home remedies to treat food allergies.

You could also be having a reaction to the natural chemical of salicylate found in beets and other vegetables. Some vegetables known to be high with this naturally occurring chemical are broccoli, cucumber, mushrooms, radishes, and more.

Reactions to Natural Chemicals in Beetroot

Salicylate is found in the skins of some vegetables and fruits. It is also found in the pain-relieving drug aspirin. This is a naturally occurring chemical found in some foods.

Some food containing salicylates include tea, ginger, honey, spices. Vegetables that have high levels of salicylates are beets, broccoli, cucumber, mushrooms, radishes, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and peppers.

According to WebMD salicylates can cause:

  • wheezing or asthma-like symptoms
  • headaches
  • nasal congestion
  • changes in skin color
  • itching, hives, or rashes
  • swelling of hands, feet, and face
  • stomach pain or upset
  • eczema
  • diarrhea
  • intestinal inflammation
  • Colitis
  • nasal polyps

In severe cases, a salicylate allergy can lead to anaphylaxis, which is a life-threatening reaction that is an emergency. But this is rare in the case of salicylate allergy.

It is not known what causes this allergy. An allergy in itself is a reaction your immune system has when it encounters food or substances.

As stated by Healthline, the percentage of people who suffer from salicylates is unknown. But it is more common for adults to have an intolerance to those who also have asthma. 2-22% of adults with asthma are estimated to have this type of sensitivity.

If you are allergic to salicylates then it is best to stay away from foods, medications, and cosmetics that contain salicylate.

What are symptoms of a beet allergy?

Beets contain oxalates which if taken in excess can cause kidney stones, gastrointestinal problems, bladder crystals, etc. Oxalic acid is found in many veggies like spinach, rhubarb leaves, carrots, and other vegetables. This acid can cause:

  • breathing difficulty
  • burning mouth
  • throat, stomach pains, etc.

If you’re allergic to beets you may get:

  • rashes
  • diarrhea
  • itchiness
  • hives
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • chills
  • stomach pains
  • running nose
  • wheezing
  • facial swelling
  • ear infection
  • watery eyes
  • red eyes
  • sore throat
  • fever

Children, older people, and those suffering from diabetes are more prone to these allergic reactions than other people.

If you experience severe cramping every time you eat beets it could be because you have a food intolerance to beets.

This means that your digestive system can’t break down the proteins, carbs, and sugars.

All the beets that aren’t digested are deposited in the colon where they mix with the intestinal bacteria causing you to feel bloated, abdominal pains, or cramping.

You may also get some changes in your bowel movement that include diarrhea and constipation. Eating beets may cause gas pains because of the fiber content in beets.

Usually, the fastest way to get rid of gas pains is to pass gas or go to the loo, however, if it persists seek medical attention.

If you consume high levels of nitrates you may end up having a stomach upset, diarrhea, and vomiting. These symptoms may appear as early as 2 hours after consumption or 18-36 hours later.

How To Treat a Beet Allergy?

Treating an allergy can be difficult since you don’t know its origin and especially how to treat a beet allergy. There is no 100% proven method to treat a beet allergy.

Your immune system, as well as everyone else, is unique as some are more prone to allergies than others. There is no cure for allergies. The best way to treat them is to just stay away from foods that trigger your allergies. Allergies are hereditary so if you can learn what kinds of foods cause your allergies you can be able to prevent any reaction early on.

beets planted in soil

Doctors can also prescribe you antihistamine drugs which give you relief from mild to moderate symptoms. They can be in the form of inhalers, injections, or tablets that you can conveniently carry around with you in case of an attack. However, if your allergic reactions are more severe you need to be more careful. You must seek immediate medical attention to avoid making the situation worse to the point it becomes life-threatening.

You now have more information about beet allergies than you did before.

Beets are great root veggies with lots of healthy benefits. However, there are some people who are allergic to eating beets and can have mild to severe allergic reactions.

Most people born with allergies can learn what triggers their allergies and since you know yours is beets you can avoid taking them altogether. For more severe symptoms, it’s best to seek immediate medical attention to avoid fatal consequences.

Since allergies can be hereditary, it is important to inform family members if you have a beet allergy so they can also take caution from eating the beetroot vegetable.

More Questions About Beet Allergies

Are babies allergic to beets?

Beets are safe for your baby to eat when they start eating solid foods but give small quantities that are easily digestible and to see if the baby has any reaction to beets. Beets are rich in nitrates which can make it hard for your baby to digest, you can cook or steam the beets to reduce the nitrates.

Beets are actually an excellent source of nutrients for your baby. They contain B-vitamins, folate, and other minerals. They also contain vitamin C and copper which can help your baby absorb iron.

It is best to start giving your baby beets after they turn 6 months of age. They can be a choking hazard, so make sure the beet is soft and in the appropriate size for your baby’s age.

Why do raw beets irritate my throat?

Beets contain oxalic acid which can cause a burning sensation in your throat or mouth, stomach pains, breathing difficulty, vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea. Peeling of the skin helps and also cooking the beets to reduce the oxalic acid levels.

What are the symptoms of raw beet allergy?

It’s not common to have an allergic reaction to eating raw beets. Some of the symptoms include stomach cramps, gas pains, bloating, diarrhea, and abdominal pains. Other symptoms can be hives, skin rashes, wheezing, difficulty breathing, nasal blockage, and facial swelling.

Can eating cooked beets and beet greens cause an allergic reaction?

Beets are safe to eat but if you’re allergic to beets they can trigger an allergic reaction. It could also be because you have a food tolerance to beets that’s why your immune system reacts.

What are beet poisoning symptoms?

You could have nitrite poisoning because of eating or drinking too much beet. Taking excess beet juice can at times lower your blood pressure levels too much to a point you feel dizzy, lightheaded, nauseous, and feel like fainting.

How long does it take for beets to clear your system?

It takes approximately 48 hours for beets to get out of your system. The time varies for each person depending on how fast their digestive system moves.

This wonderful beet vegetable is a sure way to figure out how fast food moves through your body.

Since beets are known to make your stools turn pink or red from consumption, this test is used by nutritionists or doctors to see if fiber is needed in your diet.

It is best to note that we are not nutritionists or doctors. We do our best research to provide you with the best information from trusted sources. Thank you for reading.