There is no doubt that cats make for some pretty cool pets. With that being said, there is also no doubt that indoor cats can create quite the mess and stink. Yes, they have to go to the bathroom just like we do, but they use a litter box.
- Powered: PetSafe ScoopFree Automatic Self Cleaning
- Powered: LitterMaid Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Non-electric: Omega Paw Roll 'n Clean Litter Box
Conventional cat litter boxes, while they are fine, are not ideal. You have to scoop the waste out manually, and that is undoubtedly inconvenient.
What about self-cleaning litter boxes? They sound handy don’t they? That’s why we’re writing this article, to help you find the best choice in self-cleaning cat litter boxes for both you and your feline.
PetSafe ScoopFree Self Cleaning Litter BoxBuy on Amazon
If you need an easy to operate, affordable, and long-lasting self-cleaning litter box, the PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Cat Box is a great option to keep in mind. It costs a little more than a normal traditional litter box, but it also does the work for you.
- AUTOMATICALLY REMOVES WASTE: No scooping, cleaning or refilling your cats litter box for weeks
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Crystal litter removes smell by absorbing urine and dehydrating solid waste
- NO MORE MESSY FLOORS: Low tracking crystals are 99 percent dust free and don’t stick to your cat’s paws
- LEAK PROTECTION: Disposable trays have plastic lining to help protect against leaking and keep your floors clean
- EASY CLEANUP: Simply remove the tray and throw it away; each tray includes a lid for quick disposal
- U.S. BASED CUSTOMER CARE: Let our pet product experts help; we’re available Monday through Saturday to answer your questions at 1 800 845 3274
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: PetSafe brand has been a trusted global leader in pet behavior, containment and lifestyle innovations for nearly 30 years; we help pets and their people live happy together
- View on Amazon
The PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box features a solid plastic tray that is not going to leak anytime soon. It’s a good option for containing the mess that cats make. What is also nice is that here you get litter crystals. These crystals don’t stick to your cat’s feet, which means that you won’t have litter being tracked throughout the home. These crystals are also made with special technology which traps and seals in both liquids and odors.
What is really nice is that the PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box features a waste trap. Every time your cat uses the litter box, a special mechanism works to scoop away the waste and seal it into the containment area. It locks away the sight and smell of the waste, which is fantastic. There is a disposable litter tray which you can simply remove and throw out once it is full. The downside is that the litter tray does need to be replaced on occasion.
Keep in mind, there are safety sensors here to ensure that the PetSafe Self-Cleaning Litter Box does not try to scoop away waste while your cat is still in the litter box. All in all, while the petsafe scoopfree ultra not the cheapest litter box out there. It does need tray replacements, but it’s a very handy and convenient option to consider. It certainly does a good job at containing cat waste and the odor which it creates.
PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Easy to use
- Odor and waste absorbing crystals
- Crystals don’t stick to your cat’s feet
- Automatically disposes of waste
- Requires electric plug
- Requires replacement trays
LitterMaid Automatic Multi-Cat Litter BoxBuy on Amazon
This option is a little more expensive than the one we just looked at, but not by much. On the other hand, it is designed to be used by more than one cat.
- MULTI-CAT SELF-CLEANING LITTER BOX: This litter box has automatic scooping with a rake that removes waste for a clean, fresh start. It is designed to be used with multiple cats over 15 lb.
- LOW MAINTENANCE: When used as directed, the LitterMaid Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box requires no daily scooping, meaning you have a scoop-free clean up for up to 7 days.
- ODOR CONTROL: Once the rake removes waste, the waste receptacles with carbon filters keep mess and odor contained.
- LITTER BOX DESIGN KEEPS AREA CLEAN: Designed with high walls to prevent litter scatter and a paw cleaning ramp to help prevent tracking around the box.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDE: 4 waste receptacles, 4 carbon filters, 1 scoop and rake cleaner, 1 paw cleaning ramp
- View on Amazon
The LitterMaid Automatic Multi-Cat Litter Box is a good choice to keep in mind for a variety of reasons. First off, it has a pretty large area for the litter, more than enough space for 2 cats. The area for the litter is separated from the containment area. Once your cats use the litter box, the sensors will activate the scooping mechanism. The rake will then scoop away the waste into the containment area for later disposal. This litter box can be used by cats over 15 pounds, which is nice as well.
What is really great about the LitterMaid Automatic Multi-Cat Litter Box is that the waste receptacle features a carbon filtration system. This system helps to totally kill and contain the odors created by cat waste, so you don’t have to smell it in your home. This item is made with solid plastic, so it’s not about to leak out any waste.
This litter box also comes with a specially designed ramp that is made to remove litter from your cat’s feet, so it does not track throughout your home. This item can be left for up to 7 days before it needs to be cleaned and emptied.
LitterMaid Automatic Multi-Cat Litter Box
- Cleans itself
- Carbon filter for smell control
- Paw ramp to reduce litter tracking
- Solid plastic design to prevent leaks
- Carbon filters are expensive to replace
- Paw ramp only works if your cat walks on it
Omega Paw Elite Self Cleaning Roll ‘n Clean Litter BoxBuy on Amazon
This is quite a unique option to go with – a rolling cat litter box. It’s not exactly self-cleaning, but it will help make life easier. On that note, this item also costs about half as much as the others we have looked at.
- Elite Self cleaning EL-RA20-1
- Features chrome accents
- Built in litter step catches litter as cat exits
- New improved clip design
- Stronger more durable sifting Grill.Material:Plastic.Remove all kitty litter and rinse out with pet-friendly soap and water. Scrub with a soft cloth to remove stubborn stains and litter and use a soft towel to dry and reassemble for use
- View on Amazon
The Omega Paw Elite Self Cleaning Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box is quite simple to use. It is a rolling litter box with a lid. The lid helps keep the sight of waste away from you, plus it does an alright job at containing the smell, although not the best. What is cool here is that when you need to clean the litter box out, simply roll it on its side.
When you roll it over, a special grate system separates clean litter from the waste. The waste falls into a tray which can be pulled out and removed from the litter box, therefore allowing for easy disposal. The lid of the Omega-Paw Elite Self Cleaning Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box can be easily removed then simply clean the inside and replace litter. It comes with a litter step to catch litter as your cat exits the litter box.
Omega Paw Elite Self Cleaning Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box
- Easy to use
- Can fit large cats
- Separates litter and waste
- Easy to clean
- Not exactly self-cleaning
- Doesn’t do the best job at containing smells
In terms of the best choice for a self-cleaning litter box out there, due to its ease of use, long-lasting design, and overall efficacy. We have to recommend the PetSafe ScoopFree Self Cleaning Litter Box.
The other two options are also fine, but overall, we think that the PetSafe is the easiest to use, operates the best, and provides the overall best results. So there you have some great options for the best self-cleaning litter boxes on the market today.
If you have a self cleaning litter box, it’s crucial to have a litter mat and cat litter. Be sure to check the articles below for more information.
Make Sure You Have Cat Litter!
Litter boxes are a great choice to have! The type of litter a box uses are many. Check out our top pick of cat clumping litter HERE
Have A Cat Litter Mat?
Litter mats are specifically designed to prevent cats from spreading litter. Check out our top pick of cat litter mats HERE
( Check out our full guide on best cat scratching post here )